Thursday, April 21, 2011

Protecting your child's innocence

By Bryan Cain-Jackson



Times have changed a lot since I was a kid. The sad part is that since I’m not that old being a kid wasn’t that long ago. It sure feels like it sometimes though. There are times when I miss being a kid.



Ah, to be a kid. When our only worries were getting up and going to school, getting the grades, eating foods we didn’t always like, getting the homework done, and playing outside until the street light came on. Are you with me? Those were the days.


What were some of the things that we watched on TV? I won’t even begin to speculate because I’m hoping that there are a wide variety of age groups reading this blog.


One of the best things that we see in children is their sense of innocence. Whether they are ours or someone else’s to see that innocence is precious, and that is what makes them at times more fun to be around then other adults. I have a little sister who is 9, and she means the world to me. I wouldn’t trade her for anything or anyone in the world. She is just so pure and so innocent. When you see that innocence in a child it makes you want to do everything that you can to protect it from some of the horrors that this world has in it.


As parents one of the many ways that you can do that is by monitoring what they watch on TV.


The things that a child is subjected to can strip away from that innocence factor. Many children mimic the things that they see on TV. However, not every child is always this impressionable.


As a child, I was afraid to try and re-enact violence. The only thing I tried to do at the age of 5 or 6 was the lean forward from Michael Jackson’s Smooth Criminal. Of course, I learned not to do the things I saw on TV when I fell flat on my face and busted my lip.


We live in a time where sex and violence sells. Unfortunately, most of the things that are on TV have some form of suggestive innuendo that is not child appropriate. However, those same programs are highly marketed towards children.


Today the cases of shootings are no longer just taking place on college and high school campuses, now they are taking place in elementary schools as well. Kids are no longer waiting until they are teenagers to engage in sexual situations, they are starting as early as 7 years of age as documented in recent news reports.


The reason I am doing this blog is not because I am a concerned parent since I have no kids. I am doing this because two very good friends of mine responded to my post entitled “Lessons from TV’s Past” on Facebook. It was about the fact that TV shows used to have a point, and now they don’t so much anymore. The shows mentioned in that post also had valuable messages that can be instilled in anyone at any age who watched them. These two ladies who happen to be great moms responded to how concerned they are with the viewing choices for their kids.


It seems that most of the shows out there that are deemed suitable for children aren’t so child friendly as they may appear. I have talked to a few parents concerning what their children watch and hear on the radio.


It was a split decision. 50% of the parents say that they monitored what their children watched and listened to. The other 50% of the parents chose the “keeping it real” mentality with their children. This means they will not shield their children from the “rougher” aspects of life, TV, and music.


So, for the parents that monitored their children’s access t TV and music… What were the majority choices?






1. Sesame Street – A timeless classic that will always provide a fantastic balance between education and fun.


2. Dora the Explorer – My sister loved Dora in her younger years. Dora also speaks fluent Spanish.


3. Discovery Channel, nature, education, and health shows – I was quite surprised to find out that parents were open to letting their children watch elements of nature which can feature violence. The health surgeries that take place are extremely graphic. When asked to address this topic, the parents say it is better for the child to be exposed to the reality of what’s happening in the world.


Is this a modern way of thinking? No, it’s simply the parent’s prerogative.


I am a firm believer that a child’s sense of innocence should be preserved at all costs. A loss of that innocence can mean they are growing up far too early. A child should still be allowed to be a child. Is it okay to base the TV viewing off of how the child acts? Or is the TV viewing the basis for how the child acts?


Which makes sense to you?


Share your thoughts, parents.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Submit ExpressSearch Engine Marketing